Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Brittany Scarf


Do you remember the scarf/hood I talked about knitting for my sister last year for Christmas? Of course you don't, it was LAST YEAR! Since I'm bringing it up you might think that maybe I am finally going to post come completed pictures of it...sadly no, I was so burnt out by the time I completed the scarf I didn't bother taking any, but I did run across some "in progress" photos that I that I should share. And hopefully I will catch my sister wearing it this Christmas and I can snap a few completed shots.


Colorful Knit Scarf
 Did I mention that this scarf has POCKETS? That's why you see the pattern on both the front and back of the scarf. I knitted on one side for a bit and then switched sides (my front became my back and my back became my front) so I could fold over the end and stitch up the sides to make a pocket.

Colorful Knit Scarf


Yarn Used: Malabrigo Rios Yarn    NS:6-8
Color: ARCOIRIS Arco Iris
Skeins Used: 5
Note: Dye lots vary GREATLY to the point of looking like a different color blend so it's better to get too much yarn and return some than have to little and have to buy one skein from a different dye lot.

I have not included the hood pattern but here is the scarf pattern with and without pockets:

Abbriviations:


RC-P = Slip 1 to back, K4 then P1 from Cable needle
LC-P = Slip 4 to front, P1 then K4 from Cable needle

Moss =                 Even Rows: K1 P1 across the row
                Odd Rows: Knit the purls and purl the knits
(If you started with K1 on the front side, you will start with K1 on the back side as well)
Stockinette: K on front side, P on back side


Pattern:
Cast on 40 stitches
Moss for 6 rows

A. 5 moss, P4, K1, P7, K6, P7, K1, P4, 5 moss
B. 5 moss, K4, P1, K7,P6, K7, P1, K4, 5 moss

1.   5 moss, P4, K1, P6, RC-P, LC-P, P6, K1, P4, 5 moss
2.   5 moss, K4, P1, K6, P3, K2, P3, K6, P1, K4, 5 moss
3.   5 moss, P4, K1, P5, RC-P, P2, LC-P, P5, K1, P4, 5 moss
4.   5 moss, K4, P1, K5, P3, K4, P3, K5, P1, K4, 5 moss
5.   5 moss, P4, K1, P4, RC-P, P4, LC-P, P4, K1, P4, 5 moss
6.   5 moss, K4, P1, K4, P3, K6, P3, K5, P1, K4, 5 moss
7.   5 moss, P4, K1, P3, RC-P, P6, LC-P, P3, K1, P4, 5 moss
8.   5 moss, K4, P1, K3, P3, K8, P3, K3, P1, K4, 5 moss
9.   5 moss, P4, K1, P3, LC-P, P6, RC-P, P3, K1, P4, 5 moss
10. 5 moss, K4, P1, K4, P3, K6, P3, K4, P1, K4, 5 moss
11. 5 moss, P4, K1, P4, LC-P, P4, RC-P, P4, K1, P4, 5 moss
12. 5 moss, K4, P1, K5, P3, K4, P3, K5, P1, K4, 5 moss
13. 5 moss, P4, K1, P5, LC-P, P2, RC-P, P5, K1, P4, 5 moss
14. 5 moss, K4, P1, K6, P3, K2, P3, K6, P1, K4, 5 moss
15. 5 moss, P4, K1, P6, LC-P, RC-P, P6, K1, P4, 5 moss
16. 5 moss, K4, P1, K7, P6, K7, P1, K4, 5 moss

Without Pockets:
Repeat rows 1-16 until you reach desired length. Moss 6 rows and cast off. 

With Pockets.
Repeat rows 1-16 two times. Then knit a reverse stockinette stitch for 4 rows. Then knit a regular stockinette stitch until you can fold your stockinette panel over and have it reach the moss stitches you did to start your scarf (about 7"). Now your going to flip sides, your front will become your back and your back will become your front. All this means is that you knit an odd number of rows on your stockinette stitch (so you end with a K row). Then you begin the pattern again from just after the moss rows. Repeat rows 1-16 until the scarf is the length that you want. (include the unfolded pocket in your length assessment because you still have to knit the back of the second pocket).
Once you are happy with the scarf length, flip sides again and begin a stockinette stitch. You will be beginning on the back side of the stitch (i.e. you will start with your P row). Knit until the length of the stockinette matches the stockinette stitch on the other end of the scarf. Knit 4 rows in reverse stockinette stitches and knit rows 1-16 three times, Knit rows A & B, moss 6 rows and cast off.
Fold over each pocket at the reverse stockinette stitches and stitch the sides with an extra length of yarn.



No comments:

Post a Comment