Thursday, October 20, 2011

Missin' Mission Neck Warmer

I realized that it's somewhat strange that my first crafting article on a knitting focused blog was not about knitting. So, I thought I'd follow up with a recently completed knitting project of mine; a neck warmer in my favorite brand of yard, mission falls, which I am sad to say, recently went out business. (I do have plans to take advantage of this unfortunate news however, and stock up on yarn at closeout prices.) This was my first pursuit into the world of cables and I must say I was delighted to find that this was not nearly as complicated as I had initially anticipated.

Knit Neck Warmer

Knit neck Warmer

Sadly, I cant remember the exact pattern I came up with for the scarf but I'll tell you what I can remember:

Materials: 2 Skeins Mission Falls 136 Merino Superwash (color 022)
                One colorful button
The edges and ends are a moss stitch and I used three eight-stitch cables with three or four garter stitches between them.

I am writing the pattern from memory so I could be a bit off, but this should get you close:

Stitches used:
moss stitch
garter stitch
eight-stitch cable

Cast on 53 stitches
Row 1-12: moss stitch row
Row 13: K1,*P1, K1 repeat from * 8 sts, K3, C8F, K4, C8F, K4, C8F, K4, P1,*K1,P1, repeat from * 8 sts
Row 14: K1,*P1, K1 repeat from * 8 sts, K3, P8, K4, P8, K4, P8, K4, P1,*K1,P1, repeat from * 8 sts
Row 15: K1,*P1, K1 repeat from * 8 sts, K35, P1,*K1,P1, repeat from * 8 sts
Row 16-17: Repeat rows 10 & 11
Repeat rows 13-17 as many times as necessary until the scarf is about 24"-26" long and then add a button hole. There are a number of videos online that can help you if you don't know how to add a button hole. Make sure to size the hole for whatever button you plan to add at the end.
I located my button hole just inside the moss stitches on the edge but it can really be located anywhere between moss stitch edging.
Once the button hole is added, repeat rows 13-17 four or five more times and then finish the neck warmer by repeating rows 1-8 and bind off.

Sew on your button with an extra bit of yarn and you're all set to enjoy your new neck warmer!

No comments:

Post a Comment